Re: Year 2000.

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Mark Baker
A: Nigel Metheringham
Cc: Jay Denebeim, Exim User's List (E-mail)
Asunto: Re: Year 2000.
On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> However, without modification of both exim and the underlying operating
> system, there is likely to be serious problems around 2038 when the
> seconds count runs out of steam on 32 bits.

Who said time_t has to be 32 bits? So long as no user code relies on a
particular length of time_t, only the operating system needs to be changed.
Hopefully by 2038, 64-bit processors will be normal so problems of getting
the compilers to support arithmetic on > 1 word numbers won't be a problem.

> I intend to have retired by then :-)

[quick calculation] I won't have done. But retiring five years early is
looking very attractive :)