-oee ... another reference

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Bruno VUILLEMIN
A: exim-users
Cc: Bruno.Vuillemin
Asunto: -oee ... another reference
Philip Hazel wrote :
>> Majordomo launches "sendmail -oee ..." in majordomo.cf
>>
>> If I am right, this option tells sendmail to return 0 even
>> when an error occurs.
>>
>> Exim doesn't accept this parameter.
>
>The Solaris 2 man page for sendmail says that -oee specifies "special
>processing for BerkNet". The man page for Smail 3 says "These forms
>refer to a berknet error processing style which is not supported.
>If used, errors will be mailed back to the sender." I assumed this was
>something parochial and possibly even out-of-date, so I didn't implement
>anything.
>
>Can anybody confirm that it actually means "return 0 even on error"?

Well I came back home at noon to get the Sendmail book [O'Reilly 8/95]
Here is what is written page 505 and 506 (Chapt 30 : Options)
Please forgive my typos !
-oee,
(last e) like m, but always exits with a zero exit status. This mode
is intended for use from the command line. The e mode is used by the
rmail(8) program when it invokes sendmail. On some system, if
send mail exits with a non-zero value (fails), the uuxqt(8) program
sends its own error message. This results in two error messages being
sent, whereas only one should eve be sent. Worse still, the error
message from uuxqt may contain a bad address, one that may itself
bounce.

So I think that majordomo may need such an option to
manage some special errors. But I may be too pessimistic !

And when you don't remove -oee from the majordomo.cf file,
you can send a mail to majordomo, exim delivers it,
but you never get the answer. Once -oee it removed it
seems to work ! But how long.

Bruno Vuillemin
(postmaster@???, University of Fribourg, Switzerland)