Re: Queued up mail to the same host not delivered in one SMT…

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Christoph Lameter
Cc: Exim List
Asunto: Re: Queued up mail to the same host not delivered in one SMTP session
On Fri, 16 May 1997, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> The Manual states in Chapter 43 that exim will sent out waiting e-mail for
> a host after the first e-mail went trough. You might want to correct that.

It is a matter of defining what is meant by "waiting". I do explain
somewhere (last 3 paragraphs of chapter 3) that this only occurs when
Exim has tried to deliver a message and been unable to. Obviously I
haven't explained it properly. I will try to make this information more
prominent and cross-referenced and indexed.

> >Then you should get it to give the messages to Exim with the -odqs
> >option. That will route the messages but not deliver them. Exim then
> >remembers which messages are waiting for which host, and the next time
> >it has a connection to a host, it will attempt to deliver multiple
> >messages.
>
> How can I do that? The e-mail is completely handled by exim. E-mail is
> coming in from the List Server and exim just distributes it. It is a mail
> exploder and not a List Server.

Well, you could set queue_smtp, but that would affect all incoming mail,
not just that from your list server.

Basically, Exim does not have a facility for you to say "here comes a
lot of mail containing many messages for the same addresses; don't start
work on them yet, hang on to them and sort them by domain when I tell
you to and process all those for the same domain at once", which seems
to be what you want. The nearest thing is queue_smtp (which is a global
setting of -odqs). Sorry, it just isn't designed for that kind of load.
It initially works on each message in complete isolation, in a
decentralized manner, expecting a much more random kind of load.