Re: Nightmare with exim

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Dirk Harms-Merbitz
A: Philip Hazel
Cc: Christoph Lameter, Exim List
Asunto: Re: Nightmare with exim

On Thu, 15 May 1997, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Wed, 14 May 1997, Christoph Lameter wrote:
>
> > We installed exim 1.62 on a Linux system (Debian 1.3) and tried to use it
> > to sent out e-mail regarding a TV series "Mad about you". We needed to
> > sent out 100.000 mails and since I have had around 80.000 on some mail
> > exploder I thought it would not be such an issue.
>
> I do hope this wasn't unsolicited mail. The plague is getting worse. We
> have added 30 addresses to our block list this week alone.

It wasn't. These where people who had signed up for a newsletter.

> > This in itself brought a load of 3 on the system. The message queue grew
> > to 25.000 entries (in part because of some permission issues with the mail
> > directory of the user who got the errormessages back).
>
> I believe Linux is one of the systems that suffer performance problems
> when there are very large numbers of files in the same directory. I am
> planning to upgrade Exim so that it can be configured to split the mail
> spool directory into 62 subdirectories. This is not actually going to be
> very much work; I just have to find the time to do it.

That would probably help a lot.

> > Delivery for off site messages was also very slow. We could never get exim
> > to deliver more than one message per second.
>
> 3,600 per hour. Hmm. John Henders reported yesterday on a system that
> was doing about double that, but he was using a dual processor sparc 20
> with 512 meg of ram. Of course, the speed of the network link is also
> relevant.

The max was about 2-4 per second which is inline with what John reports.

I would have expected something more like 200 messages per second.

> > Finally it was decided that
> > exim is unsuitable for such a purpose. Qmail is lurking on the horizon...
>
> I do not believe that any one mailer can suit everybody. There are
> several to choose from. I have no problem with people deciding that some
> other product suits their purpose better than Exim. Heck, I'm not trying
> to sell it to make money... :-)

:) I know. Christoph recommended exim and so it was tried...

> > Is there any way to get exim to do faster deliveries?
>
> Bigger box? Faster network connection?

Have big box and fast network.

> > The queue management of exim is a catastrophe for larger projects. Its is
> > slow and unreliable and unmanagable.
>
> I must suffer from an imagination deficiency, because I never considered
> situations where there were 25,000 messages on a spool. Here we rarely
> have more than a few hundred at the worst of times, so I was thinking a
> few thousand would be the extreme. I think the slowness may in part be
> due to the file system problem mentioned above.

That certainly makes sense to me.