Re: Wildcard MX and exim failing

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Mark Baker
A: Philip Hazel
Cc: Christoph Lameter, exim-users
Asunto: Re: Wildcard MX and exim failing
On Wed, 14 May 1997, Philip Hazel wrote:

> >     Type:    boolean
> >     Default: true

> > This caused mail delivery to fail intermittently from the mailhub since an
> > MX record could be retrieved for any xxxx.company.com!
>
> ... but that is what a wildcard MX does. I'm sorry, I'm not sure I
> understand the problem here.

It causes a problem if you try to deliver to someone who doesn't have an MX
record.

For example a demon customer trying to send mail to digiserve.com
(to take an example that came up in demon.ip.support.unix recently) will
first look for an MX for digiserve.com, then when that fails will try
digiserve.com.demon.co.uk which, because of demon's wildcard MX, succeeds
but obviously goes to the wrong place.