Re: non-dedicated SMTP

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Mark Baker
A: Pete Ashdown
Cc: Exim Mailing List
Asunto: Re: non-dedicated SMTP
On Tue, 13 May 1997, Pete Ashdown wrote:

> We have a gateway machine that people dial into to get SMTP/UUCP mail. If
> they are SMTP based, they either have to do an ETRN or usually a
> "rsh /usr/lib/sendmail -qRdomain.com" to get their queue flushed.
>
> Since exim uses a database of unreachable sites, it makes the possibility
> of a running a loop that checks for connecting sites plausable. Thus, the
> client doesn't need an ETRN or an rsh, they just need to connect.

The standard thing that demon etc do is to get pppd (or whatever you use)
to run a script when people connect; the script then starts a queue run for
them. Some people, generally non-unix users, won't have an smtpd running
early enough, so you still need to arrange for a cron job or similar to try
again occasionally if there will be PCs using the service.

The fact that ETRN works in exim is nice; a lot of people would be made very
happy if demon implemented it on their mailers.