Re: Strange messages with 1.61

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Dr. Rich Artym
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: Strange messages with 1.61
In message <Pine.SOL.3.96.970428100958.2405M-100000@???>,
Philip Hazel writes:

> On Sun, 27 Apr 1997, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> > no0ne@???: smtp transport process returned a non-zero status
> > (0x000b)
>
> The message means that when Exim ran a sub-process to deliver to that
> address, the subprocess terminated with status 0x000b. This is bad and
> indicates that the process died on signal 11, which on Linux is SIGSEGV
> (at least on the version I looked at).

This is reminiscent of the symptoms one gets when running the Linux
memory test program (aka gcc when running a big compile) on a system
with intermittently flakey memory, as is well known to Linux folk on
various support fora. I've come across it myself, it's disconcerting.

Perhaps a high-turnaround Exim installation might stress a platform
sufficiently to bring out the same kind of SIGSEV symptoms as gcc can
trigger. Just a thought, and easy to verify: merely compile a kernel
on the platform in question, and if the compile doesn't fail then memory
flakiness is not the cause of the weird Exim behaviour.

Rich.
--
###########  Dr. Rich Artym  ================  PGP public key available
# galacta #  Email   : rich@???         158.152.156.137