Smartlist, Choplist, and Exim

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: mark david mcCreary
A: exim-users
Asunto: Smartlist, Choplist, and Exim
Smartlist is a mail list package built upon Procmail, and includes a
utility program called Choplist which interfaces to the MTA. All written
by Stephen R. van den Berg and very, very nice.

Choplist is the default setting for Smartlist, and works by sorting (I
think) and chopping the list into bite size pieces, which are then feed to
Sendmail via the command line. Smartlist rc.init has some parameters to
control the number of addresses in an invocation, the number of
simultaneous calls, etc. I am using the default values.

I have monitored a couple of tests (production runs, but don't tell my
customers :-), with Smartlist, Choplist, and Exim, and concluded that not
all addresses get thru to the queue. It seems to drop clumps of addresses
within a domain name. Maybe around 1% of the list.

I have seen some other messages to this effect recently, but thought I
would explicity post my current findings.

mark

p.s. How do you all automatically create an audit trail of what went out ?
I need some closure. When I use Eximstats, the message counts only show
the number of envelopes sent. I've been parsing the exim_mainlog file by
hand to find all reciepents.

I also see the /msgs directory with some information in it, although I
don't think I can use it for these purposes.

Is there any way of getting an eximlog_main log created separtely for each
different list I run. As opposed to walking thru a combined log afterwards
and tieing things together.

mark david mcCreary
Internet Tools, Inc.            4615 Post Oak Place, Suite 140
mdm@???          Houston, Texas 77027
http://www.internet-tools.com    713.627.9600