Re: Staggering queue runs

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Chris Thompson
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: Staggering queue runs
On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, Chris Thompson wrote:

> Maybe this doesn't matter much most of the time, but potentially there
> could be unnecessarily large surges of network activity. Is there any
> easy way to get the queue runs desynchronised? One could use slightly
> different -q<time>'s on each host, of course. Would it be worth having
> the daemon introduce some pseudo-random fuzz into the interval between
> queue runs?

It is intentional that the Exim daemon does a queue run as soon as it
starts up. I think this is sensible in general, though perhaps less so if
two machines start up together.

Given that network delays will make the rate at which two simultaneous
queue runs actually proceed different (assuming a "random" selection of
addresses on each host") will there really be any noticeable effect on
network loading?

I could easily enough (I think) multiply the delay between the first and
second queue runs by a "random" factor between 1 and 2. Or perhaps 0.5
and 1.5 would be better.