A spammy story

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Glenn Carver
A: exim-users
Asunto: A spammy story

Having plagued this list with my problems (all sorted now thanks to Phil)
I thought I recount a little story.

I wanted to see how the verification worked in exim so I thought I'd send it
some spoof email. Don't ask me why but I made up the address james.bond@???
I did a 'nslookup' to make sure that mi5.com wasn't a valid domain, did the
telnet mailhost 25 thing and watched what happened using eximon (I love eximon).

Imagine my horror when I saw exim happily deliver my test email to mi5.com!!
I'd got caught out by DNS delays on my lookup.

About an hour later, I got a very polite reply from the postmaster at
mi5.com asking me not to send test messages to this address, to which I sent
an apologetic reply.

.. but I have to say, I wonder how many messages that guy will get addressed
to james.bond or Q@????!

      Regards to all,

               Glenn

Dr. Glenn Carver,                   http://www.atm.ch.cam.ac.uk/~glenn/
Centre for Atmospheric Science,           Glenn.Carver@???
Cambridge University, Chemistry Dept.,         Phone: +44 (1223) 336524
Lensfield Road, Cambridge, CB2 1EW, UK         Fax:   +44 (1223) 336473

"Someone told me that each equation I included in the book would
halve the sales." Prof. Stephen Hawking, 'A Brief History of Time'.