Re: Handling Mailing List Bounces

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Nigel Metheringham
A: Michelle Dick
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: Handling Mailing List Bounces

artemis@??? said:
} Nigel wrote:
} > Qmail is the hottest thing around for ease of mailing
} list handling

} It is?

[list truncated a touch]
all of this stuff can be handled my qmail with its list handler.

} The envelope-from hack would save me about one headache a year. And I
} can't afford the thousands of dollars to purchase the bandwidth that
} the envelope-from hack requires, so I'll take the one headache a year.
} But without Smartlist, I wouldn't run my mailing list at all.

Well I am with you on the bandwidth issue, but back when I ran a set of
mailing lists (before I came up with Metheringham's first law of mailing
list management*), there were an awful lot of bounces which I just
couldn't match with the list recipient other than analysing the received
headers off the enclosed message in the bounce (if the other end gave you
that) - there are some *very* strange mail systems out there.

* Around 2 years back Jerry Peek sent some questions out getting feedback
for a book on managing email. My response suggested Metheringham's first
law of mailing list management - get someone else to do it! He rather
appreciated that!

    Nigel
--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@???   -  Systems Software Engineer ]
[ Tel : +44 113 251 6012                   Fax : +44 113 224 0003 ]