Problem with unqualified domains

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Max Caines
A: ph10
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Problem with unqualified domains
Dear Philip,

Ever since I installed Exim I and others here have been getting occasional
errors when sending messages with Eudora. It has taken me a long time to
find out what response Exim is sending to Eudora that causes it to give the
error in question, but I have now managed it. This is the section from
Eudora's log file:

32:0.1 Sent: "RSET\r\n"
64:0.1 Rcvd: "250 Reset OK\r\n"
16:0.1 MAIL FROM:<M.B.Caines@???>
32:0.1 Sent: "MAIL FROM:<M.B.Caines@???>\r\n"
64:0.1 Rcvd: "250 <M.B.Caines@???> is syntactically correct\r\n"
16:0.1 RCPT TO:<in1020>
32:0.1 Sent: "RCPT TO:<in1020>\r\n"
64:0.1 Rcvd: "501 <in1020>: recipient address must contain a domain\r\n"
8:0.1 Dialog: "The recipient "in1020" is not acceptable to your SMTP server.
The message is not sendable until the recipient has been changed."

As you can see, I sent an unqualified recepient address and Exim rejected
it. However, if I re-send the same message unaltered it will be accepted.
This is as you would expect because I've got this in the Exim configuration
file:

# Networks from which and for which unqualified addresses are accepted

receiver_unqualified_nets =
134.220.0.0/255.255.0.0:195.188.246.0/255.255.255.192
sender_unqualified_nets = 134.220.0.0/255.255.0.0:195.188.246.0/255.255.255.192

My PC address is 134.220.193.2, so I should be able to send messages with
unqualified recipients. And I can, except once in about 40-50 messages. A
small number of other users here get the same problem. I realise that a
problem that hardly ever happens is not an easy one to deal with; it may
help if I say that I think this has never happened on the first message I
send in a connected session (I run Eudora with queueing of outgoing
messages, so every 20 minutes or so it makes a connection and sends all the
queueed messages together). This would explain why most people don't see the
problem, as most of our users don't use email enough to have more than one
message to send at a time (or don't run with queueing on).

Thanks

|  Max Caines                  |  M.B.Caines@???              |
|  Technical Services Manager  |  JANET: M.B.Caines@???       |
|  Computer Centre             |  Phone: 01902 322245               |
|  Wolverhampton University    |  Fax: 01902 322777                 |