Re: What are local deliveries?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Max Caines
A: Philip Hazel
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: What are local deliveries?
At 11:19 22/01/97 +0000, you wrote:
>My thinking is that if
>delivery to a file or pipe has been failing for 4 days, say, there isn't
>much point in keeping on trying.

Yes, but my problem appears to have been that once the machine was back up
after Xmas, a single failure on a message was still causing delivery to be
abandoned because of the way the retry rules apply to local deliveries and
the data stored in the retry database. Single failures are not uncommon with
that machine as it has very limited scope for multiprocessing (it's an
MSMAIL SMTP gateway (cringe)). Once I cleared the retry database everything
was OK. I suppose it would be nice if deliveries were considered local or
remote based on whether the transport was invoked by a director or a router,
but it's not a big issue now I know what's going on.

>The next release of Exim has an option that allows you to test retry
>rules; you give it an address and it tells you which retry rule that
>address would use. Helpful in debugging complicated regular expressions.

Very useful.

|  Max Caines                  |  M.B.Caines@???              |
|  Technical Services Manager  |  JANET: M.B.Caines@???       |
|  Computer Centre             |  Phone: 01902 322245               |
|  Wolverhampton University    |  Fax: 01902 322777                 |