Re: Paniclog contents?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Greg A. Woods
CC: Christoph Lameter, Tom Samplonius, exim-users
Subject: Re: Paniclog contents?
On Thu, 16 Jan 1997, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> According to Stevens' description though, the socket layer shouldn't be
> notified of an incoming connection until after the three-way handshake
> has been successfully completed. To me this implies that accept() will
> never awaken if the routing is asymetric and the reply SYN&ACK cause a
> "host unreachable".

Ah, but Exim does a select() before the accept() (because some OS can't
handle an (alarm) interrupt to accept()). Perhaps the select() returns
when the handshake is complete, and *then* the error happens. Of course,
this doesn't sound plausible for asymmetric routing, but that was only a
guess as to the cause of the error.