Re: Paniclog contents?

Author: Hans Grobler
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: Paniclog contents?
On Mon, 13 Jan 1997, Philip Hazel wrote:
> > We deliver messages all over the world. This is a common occurrence.
> > Exim needs to panic on real problems not just because a connection dropped!
>
> So do we, but this is about message reception, not delivery. I have
> never seen one of those messages before, and I have a cron job that
> tells me whenever there is anything in Exim's panic log. Nobody else has
> ever remarked on it, so I'm inclined to believe that is isn't all that
> common.
>
> > Those messages belong into the main log.
>
> Yes, I think you are probably right, but this one
>
> > 1997-01-09 18:49:19 too many select() or accept() errors: giving up
>
> indicates that there have been 10 successive such errors (with a pause
> of 5 seconds after each one) and is presumably more serious. Perhaps I
> should increase the 10 to, say 30 before causing the daemon to bomb out.
> Maybe the 5 second delay is rather long. Maybe smail's paranoia is no
> longer necessary.
>
> Views?
>
> --
> Philip Hazel                   University Computing Service,
> ph10@???             New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
> P.Hazel@???          England.  Phone: +44 1223 334714

I have seen this behaviour a number of times. Here is South Africa
we have (for academic internet) only one link to the rest of the world.
The routers they are using at the bridge point have had problems with
their power supplies (apparently that's fixed now). This means our
internet connection disappears from time to time (mmm, third world is
right!).

I have had to restart Exim a number of times on our mail servers. No other
mailer I've tried (sendmail, smail and qmail) has had similar behaviour. I
not sure but I have a feeling that this error appears more often on Linux
machines (although the Solaris still have that socket CLOSE_WAIT problem,
even after patching).

Hans
--
Hans Grobler <grobh@???>
Department Electrical & Electronic Engineering