Re: UUCP & Exim problems

Author: Tom Samplonius
To: John Goerzen
CC: Philip Hazel, exim-users
Subject: Re: UUCP & Exim problems

On Tue, 14 Jan 1997, John Goerzen wrote:

> > >    uux  host!rmail address1 address2 address3 ... addressn

> > Ah! Simple as that, is it? Incidentally, where does the sender's address
> > go? Is it in a From_ line?
>
> Hmm, AFAIK, UUCP does not care about the sender's address. When mail arrives
> at "host" (which is whatever the UUCP host is named), it is generally sent to
> the MTA (sendmail, Exim, qmail, whatever..) and treated like a normal piece of
> mail. So when my system sends UUCP mail to my ISP, the mail is just fed to
> Sendmail and I guess all the info Sendmail needs it gets from the headers. I
> think... :-)

No. No. No. This is the bad, bad assumption that UUCP used to make.
Now, the From_ line should contain the envelope sender. The envelope
recipients are specified on the command line to /bin/rmail. The headers
are standard RFC-822 of course.

UUCP mail never used to differentiate between envelope and header
information. See RFC 976. If you aren't familar with headers vs.
envelope, also see the e-mail section in RFC-1123.

> A piece of UUCP mail has all the normal headers you'd find anywhere else --
> To, From, Subject, and a From_ line as well. So whatever MTA or MUA needs the
> info, it can get it from there. UUCP itself doesn't need the info (at least
> with mail). UUCP is just a "transport" protocol -- gets stuff from one
> computer to another. Doesn't really care about what's in it -- as long as
> both computers know what's going on, all is well :-)

Of course, you forgot the envelope information, which is sometimes
written into headers (Sender: and Envelope-To:), but is normally
transmitted out-of-band.

Tom