Re: Limiting mails to mailing-lists?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Niels Provos
CC: Steve Hicks, 'exim-users@lists.cam.ac.uk'
On Tue, 14 Jan 1997, Niels Provos wrote:

> I dont think that there is anything you can do on the mail server. If you
> time the outgoing mail to only deliver 10 per day it might well happen
> that your spool will never decrease.

That would be my worry too. You might also provoke additional messages:
"I mailed to the list, but didn't see my message, so after 24 hours I
sent it again ... and again ... and ..." I see this behaviour regularly
when some user sets up a broken .forward file and then tries to test it
from the same account. The record number of attempts I've seen is 10.

I think you do need some kind of out-of-MTA software to handle this.