Re: UUCP & Exim problems

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Tom Samplonius
A: John Goerzen
Cc: Philip Hazel, exim-users
Asunto: Re: UUCP & Exim problems

On Mon, 13 Jan 1997, John Goerzen wrote:

> > On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, John Goerzen wrote:
> >
> > > I have successfully got Exim to work with sending uucp with a pipe transport.
> > > However, when there is a single message with multiple recipients, it runs the
> > > uux program once for each recipient -- thus forcing uucp to send the same
> > > message multiple times. This is very bad for mailing lists.
> >
> > If you are using batch SMTP, check out the bsmtp option of the pipe
> > transport and section 42.10 of the manual, which goes into detail about
> > batching of multiple addresses.
>
> Helo Philip,
>
> Unfortunately, SMTP format is not compatible with UUCP. (I would, of course,
> allow exim to receive SMTP messages from local mail programs that use SMTP,
> such as Netscape. But UUCP is used for the actual connection to Internet.)

Wrong. Read RFC 976 in regards to UUCP mail format. Basically, a
SMTP session is batched and sent over UUCP, to be piped into the remote
mailer. Batched-SMTP is not used very commonly as a UUCP mail format,
but it is probably superior to the /bin/rmail method.

> What happens when sending a message with UUCP is this. The program uux needs
> to be called and the message piped to it, like thus:
>
>    uux  host!rmail address1 address2 address3 ... addressn

> Where all addresses that a particular e-mail should be delivered to appear on
> the command line. If the command line is larger than, I think, 1024 bytes,

The command line length is system specific.

> then uux should be invoked multiple times until all the addresses have been
> specified. (This is similar to what the xargs program does)
>
> This is the end of Exim's responsibility. The UUCP software takes care of
> delivering the mail to the remote site ("host" in the above example) and the
> remote site will take care of sending the mail.

Wrong. exim also needs to be called from /bin/rmail to handle the
incoming e-mail.

Tom