著者: Chris Thompson
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
題目: Re: Paniclog contents?
Philip Hazel writes

> On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, Christoph Lameter wrote:

[...]
> > Those messages belong into the main log.
>
> Yes, I think you are probably right, but this one
>
> > 1997-01-09 18:49:19 too many select() or accept() errors: giving up
>
> indicates that there have been 10 successive such errors (with a pause
> of 5 seconds after each one) and is presumably more serious. Perhaps I
> should increase the 10 to, say 30 before causing the daemon to bomb out.
> Maybe the 5 second delay is rather long. Maybe smail's paranoia is no
> longer necessary.

Before Philip's more recent message I was going to suggest exponential
backoff in this situation (resetting whenever a select/accept is successful).
That is, pause 2**n milliseconds after the n'th successive failure, or
something like that.

It's correct to write to paniclog if the daemon is dying, or even if it has
decided to stop listening for an extended period. (How extended?)

Chris Thompson               Cambridge University Computing Service,
Email: cet1@???    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
Phone: +44 1223 334715       United Kingdom.