Re: Delivery to Mail Lists Archives

Author: William Craven
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: Delivery to Mail Lists Archives
> However we have encountered a problem with the delivery of messages to
> an archive file of a mailling list (created by the MajorDomo system).
> The archive file in question is actually a symbolic link to another
> file as shown below;

......... [Cut]
> I suspect that I have done a configuration error but I cannot spot it
> - any ideas ? Relevant Transport Configuration is given below
>
> # file:
> #       transport definition to handle file addresses generated by
> #       aliases and forward directors (set by the main configuration
> #       variable address_file_transport)

> file:
>     driver = appendfile;
>     allow_symlink,
>     user = root

Following correspondence from both Piete Brooks and Nigel Metheringham I
have resolved the problem by ensuring that the symbolic link and file
were owned by daemon and changed the user option in the above
configuration from root to daemon.

Obviously the way mailing lists are handled at UBC will need an overhaul
- this is no mean task considering I have only started work here at UBC
three months ago and have inherited a minefield of a mailsystem. At
least Exim will simplify things - Sendmail will not help.

W.
--
William Craven                Email:  William.Craven@???
University Computing Services        Tel:    +1-604-822-8955