Re: Delivery to Mail Lists Archives

Author: Piete Brooks
To: William Craven
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: Delivery to Mail Lists Archives
> The system was implemented yesterday (Monday 30th December) and is doing
> very well.

How many messages so far ?
Why "very well", rather than just "OK" ?

> However we have encountered a problem with the delivery of messages to an
> archive file of a mailling list (created by the MajorDomo system). The
> archive file in question is actually a symbolic link to another file as
> shown below;
>
> $ ls -l /usr/local/lib/maillists/interchange/archive
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          28 May 17  1996 /usr/local/lib/maillists/interchange/archive -> /usr/spool/lists/interchange
> $ ls -l /usr/local/spool/lists/interchange
> -rw-rw-rw-   1 daemon   mail     6381675 Dec 30 00:46 /usr/spool/lists/interchange

Argh -- it won't be too happy about that !

> (Admittedly the protections for the actual file is more than is desired but is
> I understand a manifestation of running the old Sendmail system (?))

sendmail is dead -- long live exim !

ZAP it to be (say) "-rw------- 1 root mail" ...

> The delivery to the archive file is frozen with the following entry in the
> main log
> 1996-12-31 09:17:06 0vewCQ-0007f0-00 == /usr/local/lib/maillists/interchange/archive <interchange@???> T=file defer (-5): mailbox /usr/local/lib/maillists/interchange/archive has wrong uid or gid (symlink)

Quite right too !

> 1996-12-31 09:17:06 0vewCQ-0007f0-00 Frozen

Yup !

> I suspect that I have done a configuration error but I cannot spot it - any
> ideas ? Relevant Transport Configuration is given below

As it says, "wrong uid or gid" -- I suspect at least the first ...

> # file:
> #    transport definition to handle file addresses generated by alias
> #    and forward directors (set by the main configuration variable
> #    address_file_transport)

> file:
>     driver = appendfile;
>     allow_symlink,
>     user = root

User should be root, is daemon, so chown the file to root.
[[ Personally, I would *not* deliver anything as root, but instead (e.g.)
change the above to "user = daemon" to fix the problem -- but it might
break other sendmail legacy problems ...
]]