Re: Linux not delivering over NFS

Author: Christoph Lameter
To: Nigel Metheringham
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: Linux not delivering over NFS
On Tue, 24 Dec 1996, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

Nigel.Metheringham >} I have mounted /var/spool/mail from another system.
Nigel.Metheringham >
Nigel.Metheringham >I would not recommend that as a normal configuration - especially on
Nigel.Metheringham >systems without any NFS locking (like Linux). Always do delivery to the
Nigel.Metheringham >local disk and make all the other systems deliver to the system owning the
Nigel.Metheringham >disk.

Sorry. I thought that Linux had gotten NFS locking in the last year. I
checked and there still is no NFS locking in the standard distributions. I
just found an experimental Kernel NFS version with experimental locking <sigh>.

Nigel.Metheringham >Use the exim debug/verbose options to get more information on what is
Nigel.Metheringham >happening here. If exim is tring to inode lock the file as well it will
Nigel.Metheringham >always fail - Linux has no locking code. Without more info I can't really
Nigel.Metheringham >suggest much at present.

Would it be possible to not do locking on the inode and just use the
username.lock file to do locking? Is that reliable or can it be reliable?

PGP Public Key = FB 9B 31 21 04 1E 3A 33 C7 62 2F C0 CD 81 CA B5