Re: Headers

Author: Philip Hazel
To: stephen white
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: Headers
On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, stephen white wrote:

> SmartList puts in "Resent-From:", and "Resent-Date:". The problem
> that I'm having is that some of my users have complained that the
> "Resent-Sender:" takes precedence over the "From:" field so all
> they see is:
>
> From: "smartlist mailer,,," <list@???>
> To: dnews@???

I think their clients are behaving badly. Sender isn't supposed to take
precedence over From in this way.

> There aren't too many of these users, thankfully.

I don't suppose you can get their clients fixed?

BTW, you could improve the look of that line. When Exim generates
[Resent-]Sender: it fishes the user's name out of the passwd file. If
that field contains other things, as yours seems to (the multiple,,,,,)
you can get Exim to extract from it by setting the gecos_pattern and
gecos_name fields. For example, to use everything up to the first comma:

gecos_pattern = "([^,]*)"
gecos_name = $1