Re: Headers

Author: Michelle Dick
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: Headers
Philip wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, stephen white wrote:
>
> > Does Exim need to be so touchy about filling in "Resent-<x>" headers? Any
> > way of turning this off?
>
> Could you possibly explain in more detail what you mean? Exim will only
> do anything with Resent headers if the message it is given contains at
> least one such header. In that case, the RFC specifies that they should
> be treated as a set of headers used instead of the normal set. For that
> reason, Exim will ensure, for example, that a Resent-Date header is
> present if there isn't one already.

The problem in this case is that SmartList does add some Resent-
headers, but not a Resent-To: header. Bad for mailing lists since
then all the recipients get listed in everybody's email. There is a
simple script that can be added to SmartList to fix this, in fact it
is included in the examples directory of SmartList for just such
cases.

I don't know why he's needed 3 "patches". The script can be put in the
global mailinglist directory and enabled by uncommenting a line in the
config file. If it is enabled in the global config file, then one
wouldn't even have to worry about when it setting up subsequent
lists.

The only change I might suggest for exim is that this be noted in the
docs a little better (for those folks not up on all the RFCs). When I
first observed this I was in the dark as to where the Resent-To:
header was coming from (procmail, smartlist, exim, or my
smarthost). Some lucky grepping of source files turned up the
explanation in SmartList example files, but none in the exim doc.

Since I'm the one who pointed out the SmartList fix initially to
Stephen, perhaps he could explain to me why the script fix isn't
sufficient. Or mention it to Stephen van den Berg (author of
Smartlist), he's probably open to making inclusion of a Resent-To:
standard assuming he finds the time to update SmartList.

SmartList does has a few rough edges, but nearly all are easily
compensated for by editing its script files. It's the only mailing
list package I've found that I can make do whatever I want.

--
Michelle Dick             artemis@???              East Palo Alto, CA