Re: Numerology

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Greg A. Woods
Para: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users, Richard Stallman
Asunto: Re: Numerology
[ On Mon, November 11, 1996 at 09:27:49 (+0000), Philip Hazel wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Numerology
>
> On Sat, 9 Nov 1996, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>
> > version numbering scheme for future releases. We will increment the
> > third number (3.7, 3.7.1, 3.7.2, etc) whenever we generate a release of
> > bug fixes (what might traditionally be also known as a "patch" release),
> > and increment the second number, or the minor release number, (3.7, 3.8)
> > whenever we add any new features or make other user-visible changes,
>
> Most releases of Exim in the immediate future are likely to have both
> kinds of change, as I am still developing like crazy. I am minded to
> change the first number every time a new GNU CD-ROM comes out, and
> thereafter just increment the "fraction", but following some other
> suggestions, I am minded to make the next release 1.58, which preserves
> some continuity and also looks like something that has had some serious
> testing.

Hmm, yeah. I've been thinking about these issues too, and have decided
that using development branches (I use CVS to manage the code, so
branches are easy) in a manner similar to the FreeBSD group. They end
up with silly things like new releases coming out before old release
branches are closed off, but since each branch has a very well defined
purpose, it all works out. See http://www.freebsd.org/ for more info.

Of course any layer of extra management takes extra work to manage! ;-)

As for what to call your first release, yes, I agree 1.58 is a good idea.

--
                            Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734            VE3TCP            robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@???>; Secrets of the Weird <woods@???>