Re: Configuration for satellite systems?

Author: David Sheryn
To: liaison
CC: Tim Cutts, exim-users
Subject: Re: Configuration for satellite systems?
On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, liaison wrote:

> Correct me if wrong (I'm a few re's behind) but.... It would be very useful
> for new users of Exim to have example configuration files for typical
> scenarios.

Seconded - especially for those of us not familiar with the smail approach,
but have had our brains curdled with another well-known MTA beginning with
's' and ending in 'mail' ... ;-)

> These might be:
>
>     a) Single host handling all Internet and local machine delivery

>     b) Single mail server with client cluster - all mbox's on server

>     c) (a) re-writing all "internal" form names to "external" form

>     d) (b) with (c)

>     e) others ...?

    f) `switch' - handles all mail for given set of domains by passing to
        local `smarthost'. Accepts mail from smarthost for onward internet
        delivery. No local deivery.

    g)  smarthost - performs local delivery for given set of domains.
        Hosts user's mailboxes, with user's details looked up from (dbm)
        tables, *not* passwd file, for performance.

    h)  (g) with (c), etc...

Answers on a postcard, please :)

DHS
---
David Sheryn, <D.H.Sheryn@???>                        (+44) 171 477 8196
Computing Services    City University    Northampton Square   London   EC1V 0HB