Re: Configuration for satellite systems?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Tim Cutts
CC: Nigel Metheringham, exim-users
Subject: Re: Configuration for satellite systems?
On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Tim Cutts wrote:

> It was my understanding that the smartuser director could do this, for
> example a message to foo@??? could be sent on to
> foo@???

A director such as

smart:
driver = smartuser;
new_address = ${local_part}@???

simply replaces the address in the envelope and reprocesses. A director
such as

smart:
driver = smartuser,
transport = special;
new_address = ${local_part}@???

with the transport

special:
driver = smtp;
hosts = my.mail.hub1:my.mail.hub2

also forces the message to be delivered (with new address) to (one of)
the specified hub(s).

The smartuser director does not cause any rewriting of addresses in the
messages's headers. Specifying rewrite rules might be another way of
achieving what you want. For example, on a workstation called
work.my.domain you could have a rewrite rule

*@work.my.domain $1@???

which would rewrite everything (envelope & headers) and then deliver to
my.domain - presumably your hub.