Protecting against other peoples broken mailers

トップ ページ
このメッセージを削除
このメッセージに返信
著者: Nigel Metheringham
To: exim-users
題目: Protecting against other peoples broken mailers
Another horror story that I thought I'd pass out to see if anyone can
think of a good solution...

Last week a US site sent one of our customers a mail message. This
was not your common or garden message - it was 18MB in size!!!
The US site's gateway mailer obviously has a couple of problems... it
looked very much as though it had a timeout on the data part of the
SMTP transaction, and typically 10MB got through and then the session
was wrapped up and it tried again - immediately!!!

This US site had good connectivity. To make matters worse, through
much of the day I could see 3 simultaneous SMTP sessions into our
system!

You can guess that this did not do our spare spool space much good.

I finally ended up blackballing the sender machine on all our MX
hosts until they sorted the problem. Meanwhile I tried to contact
them without much sucess - their main number gave me a robotic
answering service without any clues as to how to go one, their whois
data gave the home number of an ex-employee (he wasn't happy with a
3am phone call), their ISPs phone number (from their WWW pages) put
me in contact with a medical answering service!!!

I cannot think of a recipient mailer method of dealing with this,
unless you record message-id/sender info and do something with that,
which is an utter hack, however others may have some useful ideas!

    Nigel.

--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@???   - Unix Applications Engineer ]
[ *Views expressed here are personal and not supported by PLAnet* ]