Re: / ambiguity

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Nigel Metheringham
A: Philip Hazel
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: / ambiguity
} I've discovered a horrible can of worms. Here's a question that I'd like
} some comments on, please. If a .forward file contains the line
}
} /some/thing/or/other/@???
}
} is it a file name, or an email address? I believe that one cannot tell.

In either case it should do the same thing when passed in from
outside as when it comes from an alias - unlike smail :-(

} Because of X.400, email addresses of this form are to be seen, though in
} many cases they can be distinguished because quotes are used, e.g.
}
} "/some/X.400/stuff/"@???
}
} Exim has some infelicities in this regard, which I am fixing, but I need
} to make a policy decision as to what to do in the ambiguous case. My own
} feeling is to prefer an email address, since it is more likely to be
} that than an obscure file name. How then to force a file name? Quoting
} the entire thing could be used, but naive users might quote entire
} addresses...
}
} Any thoughts?

Personal view:-
If the last component has @ in it then its an address.
Component here is / delimited.
Or maybe more simply stated, prefer address to filename. Who would
put @ in a filename anyhow :-)

    Nigel.

--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@???   - Unix Applications Engineer ]
[ *Views expressed here are personal and not supported by PLAnet* ]