/ ambiguity

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: exim-users
Asunto: / ambiguity
I've discovered a horrible can of worms. Here's a question that I'd like
some comments on, please. If a .forward file contains the line

/some/thing/or/other/@???

is it a file name, or an email address? I believe that one cannot tell.
Because of X.400, email addresses of this form are to be seen, though in
many cases they can be distinguished because quotes are used, e.g.

"/some/X.400/stuff/"@???

Exim has some infelicities in this regard, which I am fixing, but I need
to make a policy decision as to what to do in the ambiguous case. My own
feeling is to prefer an email address, since it is more likely to be
that than an obscure file name. How then to force a file name? Quoting
the entire thing could be used, but naive users might quote entire
addresses...

Any thoughts?

P.S. The problem does not arise with filter files, because different
commands are used.