Re: Even more feature requests...

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: m.hampson
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: Even more feature requests...
On Thu, 1 Aug 1996 m.hampson@??? wrote:

> Would it be possible for all log messages to include the PID of
> the process creating them - This is often very useful info
> when trying to track down whats happening to a message.

This has been on the list for a while - Piete Brooks suggested it. It
isn't trivial to do because:

(a) There are already sites with 20MB daily log files, who want me to
*reduce* the size of them if possible, not add stuff!

(b) There are log-analysing programs that expect the current format.

It would therefore have to be an option, with all the work that entails
in adjusting the log analyzers. The SIGUSR1 facility is supposed to be
the way to find out what the various Exim processes are doing, but you
do have to be root to use it.

I have had another idea recently; a DBM file could be used to keep track
of current activity. Processes could update records keyed by message id
to indicate what was happening to a message. This would avoid increasing
the log file size and enable you to find out what is happening to a
given message without having to use the SIGUSR1 stuff. I need to think
about this. Unfortunately there are some more urgent things that need
doing and anyway, I'm going away for two weeks soon (free! free!
Internet-less for 2 whole weeks!) so nothing is going to happen in a
hurry.