Re: Exim 0.54 feature requests

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: j.n.bain
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: Exim 0.54 feature requests
RE:

> WHatever you do is a pain.... I hate to ask, but what does sendmail
> do?? I think is behaves very similarly to exim, but its been a long
> time!

I'm fairly sure that it behaves in a similar way and is slow.

Coming back to the original question, I agree with Philip & Nigel that the best
way to do parallel working on lists with large number of recipients is outside
the MTA. If we consider what majordomo does at present:

Majordomo generates the outgoing message, after pre-processing for closed lists
etc., and then sends it to:

listx-outgoing: :include:/majordomo/lists/listx

It would probably be relatively easy to write a bit of code that modifies
this step to generate separate messages with say a maximum of 20 recipients:

listx-outgoing: "|/majordomo/bin/create-messages /majordomo/lists/listx"

I guess that the distribute program that comes with sendmail maybe a good
basis for create-messages. You may be able to do some recipient re-ordering here
to group together recipients in the same domain (no point leaving this
stage to the MTA as there will probably be few such groupings in each new
message of 20 recipients!)

My worry would then be the case of a large (say 1000 subscribers) list. The
above would generate 50 separate messages. So it follows that one message sent
to a large mailing list could monopolise the MTA - something I guess is not
good.

Jason.
--
Jason N. Bain, Centre for Computing Services, Imperial College, London SW7 2BX.
Telephone:(0171) 594 6974 Fax:(0171) 594 6958 Electronic mail:J.N.Bain@???