Low priority transport...

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Nigel Metheringham
A: exim-users
Asunto: Low priority transport...
This is an idea I'm wondering about, but not yet really investigated
if anything can currently be done with exim (although I suspect
not)...

The majority of our customer sites have a gateway system which links
into us by an intermittant connection (ISDN). In general I want the
gateways to do their own remote mail delivery rather than
smarthosting the whole lot to our mailhubs and letting them do the
hard work. However this means that messages that were not delivered
first time round sit in the queue causing the ISDN line to be bought
up for every delivery attempt, probably ramping up the users phone
bill for no good reason.

Hence what I'd like to be able to do is add a backup or low priority
transport, which acts pretty much like a very low priority MX host.
Hence a message would be resolved, and deliveries attempted for the
various stated MX hosts, and then if it could not be delivered to
them, it is passed to a smarthost (one of our mailhubs). Even better
if this could happen in a way so that if it was going to 15 disparate
addresses none of which are contactable right now, then *one* copy
gets passed to the smarthost.

Comments, reactions, anything??

    Nigel.

--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@???   - Unix Applications Engineer ]
[ *Views expressed here are personal and not supported by PLAnet* ]