Re: Exim 0.50

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Nigel Metheringham
A: Philip Hazel
Cc: John Henders, exim-users
Asunto: Re: Exim 0.50
} On Thu, 23 May 1996, John Henders wrote:
}
} > One. Eximon still looks in X11R5. Most linux distributions probably have
} > X11R6 by now. Is there not a defacto practice to have whatever the
} > currently in use version of X11 also be symlinked, ie /usr/X11
} > ->/usr/X11R6, or is that just some systems?
}
} What is done in different systems seems to be very variable, alas. I did
} put some discussion of X in section 4.5 of the manual in the hope of
} making life a bit easier. I'm not sure there's much else I can do.

Current practice of the XFree86 group is to have /usr/X11R6. Some
distributions link /usr/X11 to it, others don't. This will
presumably be the same for the i386 BSD varients (as they use the
same code) and maybe even other x86 Unix like systems.

} > Two. The linux Makefile wants to link libndbm. Do some people out there
} > really have seperate libndbm or is it a symlink to libgdbm. My legacy
} > linux system (one year old debian install) has an aout libnnnnnnndbm,
} > but I haven't seen an ELF one.
}
} Pass. I have no personal experience of Linux at all. What I have learned
} from distributing Exim is that there seems to be a lot of variation in
} this area too, and it has been the greatest cause of problems in setting
} up Exim for Linux.

I think ndbm isn't likely to be on many systems at all.

I've finally got a day when I am not integrating kernel patches, so
I'm going to properly integrate Berkeley db into exim (a few people
may have realised by now that I am a fan of this db library :-) ),
and while I'm at it I'll add some commenting to the appropriate files
so that fixing Linux portability is more obvious to the package
builder.

    Nigel.

--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@???   - Unix Applications Engineer ]
[ *Views expressed here are personal and not supported by PLAnet* ]