[exim] Re: debugging et al

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Re: debugging et al
On 2/27/24 12:36, graeme vetterlein via Exim-users wrote:
> Bit of a side note, but I tried many different ways (for about a day) to turn on debugging , never really got anything useful.  I'm using Debian (bullseye)

Perhaps you should ask on a Deb-specific forum.

> + in /etc/default/exim  (set COMMONOPTIONS=''  ..to -d and =d+all)
>
> + setting options in /etc/exim4/conf.d/main/90_exim4-config_log_selector ( MAIN_LOG_SELECTOR == MAIN_LOG_SELECTOR +all -subject -arguments )

That's logging, not debug.

> + found the exim process via ps , killed it restarted with additional -d+all (and also without -bd and with -v)
>

> Only the last one produced any sort of output (on stdout/stderr on the terminal) but this was just the startup ...after a second or so it appeared to fork off some children and that was the last output I saw.

The only way I see that happening is if something else (systemd?)
killed off the daemon you'd started. Otherwise you
should get some fresh output for any new connection received by it
(did you supply one?)

>     Incoming: (which incudes the .forward case I'm considering) fetchamil(1) pulls the mail down and "passes" to sendmail (how? localhost, exec a separate sendmail ...I really need to check)

Yes. If it's not SMTP, then it's command-line - and the daemon
listening for SMTP connections does not get involved.

> So I suspect I'm not turning on debug in the right place. Your comment about setting in a ACL I'd not seen before.

Again, if it's no SMTP then you have to attend instead to the
not-smtp ACLs

> Is there a section in the exim manual (RTFM!) with a guide to actually *doing( debugging

Nope. You get to infer what's needed based on the general description
of how Exim processes messages. Or ask here, or on IRC.

--
Cheers,
Jeremy

PS: Anyone care about Mastodon, as an IRC alternate?