[exim] debugging et al

Author: graeme vetterlein
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] debugging et al

> GV> What I REALLY REALLY would like to do is watch the SMTP
> conversation between my exim4 and its smarterhost
>
> Not directly the smtp conversation, but you can turn on -d debugging
> in an ACL, with
>     control = debug/<options>
> so you have full debugging just for messages to gmail.

Bit of a side note, but I tried many different ways (for about a day) to
turn on debugging , never really got anything useful.  I'm using Debian
(bullseye)

+ in /etc/default/exim  (set COMMONOPTIONS=''  ..to -d and =d+all)

+ setting options in /etc/exim4/conf.d/main/90_exim4-config_log_selector
( MAIN_LOG_SELECTOR == MAIN_LOG_SELECTOR +all -subject -arguments )

+ found the exim process via ps , killed it restarted with additional
-d+all (and also without -bd and with -v)

Only the last one produced any sort of output (on stdout/stderr on the
terminal) but this was just the startup ...after a second or so it
appeared to fork off some children and that was the last output I saw.

I did (belatedly) realise , I'd need to take a tad more care over this,
due to the way I send and receive mail:

    Outgoing: clients (e.g. thunderbird connect to port 25 of existing
sendmail (exim4(8)

    Incoming: (which incudes the .forward case I'm considering)
fetchamil(1) pulls the mail down and "passes" to sendmail (how?
localhost, exec a separate sendmail ...I really need to check)

So I suspect I'm not turning on debug in the right place. Your comment
about setting in a ACL I'd not seen before.

...I just spotted a comment (made by me apparently , some years ago :-) )

root@ybox:/etc/exim4/conf.d/acl# head
/etc/exim4/conf.d/acl/15_GPV_injected_mail
### acl/15_GPV_injected_mail
#################################

#
# When email arrives here (localhost) from dropmail, dropmail invokes
/usr/sbin/sendmail -oi]
# so (my reading is) is is NON SMTP mail
#
# The to address should be <name>.home
#
# The intention here is that we DO DO DMIM checking, unlike normal local
email (e.g. stuff going out)

Is there a section in the exim manual (RTFM!) with a guide to actually
*doing( debugging (rather than e.g. the debug options, which is useful
but a different point)