Re: [exim] Reminder: ClamAV 0.95 minimum from 2010-04-15

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Reminder: ClamAV 0.95 minimum from 2010-04-15
Ian P. Christian wrote:
> On 9 April 2010 22:36, W B Hacker <wbh@???> wrote:
>>   # CONNECT_3B If a PTR RR was not found, we don't get this far.
>>   # If a PTR exists, test to see if it is of any *USE*
>>   #
>>   deny
>>     message     = Sender on $sender_address not a mail server. \
>>                   DNS PTR RR fails to match to valid host name.\
>>   # logwrite    = C3B rDNS lookup for $sender_host_address $sender_address \
>>   #              $sender_host_name
>>     condition   = ${if eq{$interface_port}{25}}
>>     !hosts      = : +relay_from_hosts
>>     !verify     = reverse_host_lookup
>>     log_message = C3B rDNS fail for $sender_host_address $sender_address \
>>                 $sender_host_name

> I've found that blockign on !verify = reverse_host_lookup causes far
> too much load on support with people calling up asking why they didn't
> get emails.
>
> In an ideal world, I'd love to turn it on, but in my experience - you
> really can't get away with it.

We're way off-topic now, but having a valid PTR RR and proper DNS entries may be
the single most important RFC requirement to insist on w/r zapping zombies. And
the RFC in question isn't even smtp-specific.

YMMV, but ' get away with it' is what the OTHER guy was doing.

With your acquiescence...

Bill