[exim] How to check to see if email went through gateway fir…

Author: Frank DeChellis
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] How to check to see if email went through gateway first
Hi there,

We run exim 4.67 and we have Barricade MX as our gateway filter. We
installed the filter and changed our MX record 3 weeks ago. The filter
works great, but lots of mail is still getting sent directly to our SMTP
server. I can say, with great certainty, that 100.1% of the email going
directly to our SMTP is spam. I¹ve been doing

allow_mx_to_ip is not set.

So I want to add a check to see if email bound for domains being filtered
actually went through the filter. But I don¹t know the magic line.

What I have is:

deny    message     email bypassed  filter --- using old MX record
             domains     =  +filtered_domains
            hosts   =   !+relay_from_host

I¹ve tried various ³verify² conditions with no luck. What is the proper
syntax to check and see if a message sent from user@??? has passed
through an intermediate filter on the way to your smtp?

If it goes through my filter first, this line is contained in the header:

    by canal.iaw.on.ca with esmtp (Exim 4.67)

Thanks for any helps you can offer.

Frank

Frank DeChellis
President, Internet Access Worldwide