Re: [exim] Greylist memcached perl implementation

Author: Mike Cardwell
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Greylist memcached perl implementation
Chris Laif wrote:

> We definitely need native memcached support compiled in exim. It would
> be very useful to cache all kinds of lookup data (routing and user
> information ...) as well. Currently exim looses all these information
> as it is forking new processes for every mail processed.
> Cache-invalidation might be a serious problem but there exist several
> ways to solve it.

I wouldn't go so far as, "definitely need," but I'd certainly go so far
as to say, "very nice to have."

> Talking to memcached via socket or perl are technically clever
> approaches but i doubt if they are ready for production systems
> (error-handling, round-robin, ...).
>
> But who is going to implement it? :)

These things start as feature requests on bugs.exim.org. Why not submit one?

I suspect it would be a good project for someone who is learning the
code base. They could take much of the code that exists for socket
connections with ${readsocket} and build on that. This would be nice:

hostlist memcache_servers = <; 127.0.0.1:11211 ; 192.168.0.1:11211
NAMESPACE = exim

${memcached{+memcache_servers}{NAMESPACE}{set}{key}{value}}
${memcached{+memcache_servers}{NAMESPACE}{set}{key}{value}{+1d}}
${memcached{+memcache_servers}{NAMESPACE}{get}{key}{$value}{None}}

--
Mike Cardwell - IT Consultant and LAMP developer
Cardwell IT Ltd. (UK Reg'd Company #06920226) http://cardwellit.com/