Re: [exim] Should queue processing be rewritten in Exim?

Author: Marc Perkel
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Should queue processing be rewritten in Exim?

Marc Sherman wrote:
> Marc Perkel wrote:
>
>> The bottleneck is the queue and I've noticed that if I use a ram disk
>> for the queue that I can process many times as much mail with var lower
>> load levels that using disk based queue. Ideally if I had a battery back
>> up ram disk card that would be ideal but I can't find that anywhere.
>>
>> So - that's the problem I wish to solve.
>>

> What I don't understand is how has that not solved it already? You've
> already partitioned the servers into a fast incoming server that
> immediately offloads all messages that cannot be immediately processed
> onto slower back-end servers, and you've already got that fast incoming
> server running its queue on a ram-disk. That seems like pretty much the
> optimal solution for your requirements. What would you change?
>
> - Marc

What isn't optimal is that I have only one queue and it's in ram disk.
Although I try to offload everything after one try I fear that due to
some unforeseen problem that won't happen. My solution works but if Exim
supported multiple queues natively and had these features built in the
Exim would be better. I'm just trying to make suggestions about
improving Exim and making it faster for everyone.