Re: [exim] Cannot send mails to @hotmail.com addresses

Author: Mike Cardwell
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Cannot send mails to @hotmail.com addresses
Giuliano Gavazzi wrote:

>> I've also heard rumours (but I can't recall where I read them) that
>> they
>> don't blackhole mail sent with Outlook, but they do blackhole mail
>> sent
>> with Thunderbird. I guess there would exist a set of header
>
> If that was proven true, I think some commissions would like to know
> about it.
> Also, reasonably easy to test.

I hate to keep coming back to this thread, but I keep finding stuff. Re
the Outlook/Thunderbird debate:

I reverted back to using a normal dnslookup router without the extra
hotmail crud I've been adding. I then sent an email using Thunderbird
with the subject line "test" and body "test". It never arrived. I then
added this to the dnslookup router:

headers_remove = User-Agent

I then sent another test using "test2" in place of test. That got
straight through their filters. I then reverted the changes to my exim
config and did test3 and then put them back and did test4 and reverted
and did test5...

I'm not sure that Outlook makes your email appear lass spammy to
hotmail, but using Thunderbird certainly makes it look more spammy. My
new hotmail router:

hotmail:
   driver              = dnslookup
   domains             = hotmail.com : hotmail.co.uk : hotmail.fr :
hotmail.it : hotmail.de
   condition           = ${if or{\

{match{$h_References:}{\N^<BAY\d+-.+@phx\.gbl>$\N}}\

{match{$h_In-Reply-To:}{\N^<BAY\d+-.+@phx\.gbl>$\N}}\
                         }{false}{true}}
   transport           = remote_smtp
   headers_remove      = User-Agent
   headers_add         = ${readfile{/etc/exim4/hotmail_fodder.txt}}
   ignore_target_hosts = 0.0.0.0 : 127.0.0.0/8
   no_more