Re: [exim] Re: iconv

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Steve Sargent
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: iconv
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, Steve Sargent wrote:

> I have now got to the bottom of this!!!!
>
> The easiest way round it is to edit the Makefile in OS/Makefile-SunOS5 thus:-
>
> 7c7
> < HAVE_ICONV=yes
> ---
> > HAVE_ICONV=no

1. You should never edit anything in the OS directory. Instead, you
should have put HAVE_ICONV=no into Local/Makefile. That way, you can
just copy Local/Makefile when you want to compile the next release,
instead of having to re-edit.

2. I compile Exim quite happily on Solaris 5.9 without having to do
anything special about HAVE_ICONV. Are you using an earlier release? Ah
yes, you did say 5.8. I suspect iconv() must have been added to 5.9 in a
more standard way.

> The -R/usr/local/lib part tells it where to find the iconv library at run
> time!!!

Yes, one needs to remember that bit on Solaris when you specify
additional libraries.