[exim] ETRN: Mails are always requeued using etrn_requeue

Author: preissler thomas
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] ETRN: Mails are always requeued using etrn_requeue
Hello,

I set up ETRN as described in C037.txt.

I also configured the domain for ETRN, i.e. there are two MX-records.
The MX-record with the highest priority (10) is a forwarding an a
firewall to a windows exchange 2003 server.
The other MX-record with the priority 20, is the linux mail server,
running debian unstable and exim 4.54.

When I switch off exim and when I send a mail from GMX to my ETRN-domain,
it is delivered to the windows server.
When I switch on exim, the mail is catched by the exim and stored in
the bsmtp-file.

Then I do a "telnet linux-exim-server 25" on the windoze box, I always
get similiar log entries like that one:

2005-11-18 13:35:22 1Ed5Sc-00007Y-Or => tpreissler <tpreissler@etrn-domain> R=etrn_already T=bsmtp_for_etrn
2005-11-18 13:35:22 1Ed5Sc-00007Y-S5 <= TomJohn@??? U=Debian-exim P=etrn_requeue S=1442 id=5470.1132072655@???

The mails are requeued again and again and again, additional
Received-headerlines are appended.

I already changed the message_age param to 60 seconds, but the same
again. Most of the mails in my bsmtp-file are quite old, so they should
also be released by a message_age of 1800 seconds.

Another important thing is, where do I have to put the router? Is the
order of the existing routers important?

  00_exim4-config_header
  100_exim4-config_domain_literal
  150_exim4-config_hubbed_hosts
  160_local_virtual_users
  200_exim4-config_primary
  300_exim4-config_real_local
  325_exim4-config_large_messages
  350_exim4-config_vdom_aliases
  400_exim4-config_system_aliases
  500_exim4-config_hubuser
  600_exim4-config_userforward
  700_exim4-config_procmail
  750_local-config_etrn               <- my etrn router
  800_exim4-config_maildrop
  900_exim4-config_local_user
  mmm_mail4root

And here the transports:

  00_exim4-config_header
  30_exim4-config_address_file
  30_exim4-config_address_pipe
  30_exim4-config_address_reply
  30_exim4-config_bsmtp_for_etrn            <- my etrn transport
  30_exim4-config_mail_spool
  30_exim4-config_maildir_home
  30_exim4-config_maildrop_pipe
  30_exim4-config_procmail_pipe
  30_exim4-config_remote_smtp
  30_exim4-config_remote_smtp_smarthost
  35_exim4-config_address_directory

I think the order of the transport is not important, but a false order
of the router may cause problems, right?

Hope anyone can help me out of this loop. Thank you very much.
Tom