Re: [EXIM] Spam and exim Question

Author: Sheldon Hearn
To: Tony Schonfeld
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Spam and exim Question

On Tue, 02 Mar 1999 20:18:18 GMT, Tony Schonfeld wrote:

> Please let me know how to setup my exim.conf to return
> spam email trafic to the sender after accept it for
> different selection criterion like a word in text or
> subject, a from line etc...

Hi Tony,

Your question has been asked before on this list, so the answer is easy
to provide:

    It is both irresponsible and ineffective to automate the return
    of spam to the apparent sender.

Because spammers usually do everything possible to forge the origin of
the e-mail, it's inevitable that you'll end up harrassing innocent
bystanders. Also, you won't actually be addressing the problem.

If you're not able to impliment measures to reject spam at your ISP, you
have two options as a responsible member of the Internet community:

1) Delete the spam you receive.

2) Use appropriate channels for sending to the right people complaints
about the spam you receive.

While option 2 is ideal, it is time-consuming. For guidelines on
appropriate ways to complain about spam, see

    http://www.abuse.net/
    http://www.cauce.org/

Ciao,
Sheldon.