Re: [EXIM] qualify_single & search_parents?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: cf2
CC: Exim Users List (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [EXIM] qualify_single & search_parents?
On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, cf2 wrote:

> In this case, I would expect the DNS lookup to be for the domain
> rose.le.ac.uk, since qualify_single defaults to TRUE and
> primary_hostname is artemis.le.ac.uk

qualify_single sets an option for the resolver. It doesn't cause Exim do
do anything to the domain itself. Only widen_domains does that. Try
running with -d10 in order to see what the resolver is doing.

>   dns lookup: route_domain = rose              <<<<<---- "rose", not
>  "rose.le.ac.uk"

That is correct.

> DNS lookup of rose (MX) gave NO_DATA
> DNS lookup of rose (A) succeeded
> Actual local interface address is 127.0.0.1
> Actual local interface address is 143.210.16.125
> fully qualified name = rose.le.ac.uk

That looks as though the DNS resolver did indeed qualify the single
domain, and it then succeeded. What is the problem?

> We also have a subdomain of the form a.b, and I tried setting
> search_parents = TRUE, but found that the lookup was done for
> a.b rather than a.b.le.ac.uk

Same comment!

Philip