[EXIM] Error 503 Sender already specified

Author: D.M.Chapman
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] Error 503 Sender already specified

Ok, before I get into a battle on this one, can someone back be up please :-)

We are getting a lot of bounces from a remote machine (owned by a large multi
national who shall remain anonymous for now :-) with the following error:

----
SMTP error from remote mailer after MAIL FROM:
        <xxx@???>:
        host big.company.com:
        503 Sender already specified
----

A few tests show that this occurs when we attempt to deliver more than one
email down the same connection. The first is fine but the 2nd gets bounced
following the Mail cmd.

The remote site seem to be claiming that Exim is wrong as it is not sending
a rset command before the second (and 3rd, 4th etc.) mail. As far as I can
see the rfc states that a second mail command implies that a rset should be
performed.

ie.

They claim that:

helo mercury.ukc.ac.uk
mail from: xxx@???
rcpt to: user@???
data
.
mail from: yyy@???
rcpt to: user2@???
data
.

quit

is not valid without a rset between the end of the first data transaction
and the second mail.

Can someone back me up on this please (or point out that I am wrong
so that I can go and hide :-)

Cheers,

Darren