[EXIM] need filter advice

Author: Bob Billson
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] need filter advice
Afternoon all. I need some filtering advice. Over a year ago, I set up a
Linux box as mail server for a small local newspaper. It is running Exim
(2.12 now), fetchmail and procmail. This box connects them to the Net
through a cable modem. It allows a dial-in PPP account and one leaf site
to grab its email via uucp. fetchmail is run by a single user to grab
their email from 3 different ISPs. Their primary ISP hosts their virtual
domain with a single multi-drop mailbox. procmail is used to filter the
mail to the individual local mailboxes which are on a popserver.

For the most part, this system worked reasonably well. Now due to some
changes they want, procmail seems getting 'stressed'. :-) I am
considering switching to Exim's filtering.

Basically, what I need to do: user 'paper' runs fetchmail. 'paper' sorts
mail for users 'editor', 'press', 'pete', 'uucp', etc. and put it in their
mailboxes. Any mail to 'editor' or 'press' should also have a copy sent
to user 'publisher'. Some of the mail to 'sales' (filtering on Subject:)
also goes to 'publisher'. No mail to 'pete' or 'uucp' gets copied. All
mail to an unknown user should go to 'postmaster' not be bounced.

Using procmail, this mostly works. Add in mailing lists and the regexp
rules start getting really...um...messy. Now, yes, it would be really
nice if they could afford to set up real domain instead of a virtual one
but I have to work with what I have.

So what is the best way to handle this? Should I set up a system filter
for Exim? Should I set up an Exim filter in paper's home directory which
delivers the mail directly to the user's mailbox? Or should the mail be
redirect to each user and let an Exim filter in each home directory do
additional filtering? (The former seems the better way to go as far as
maintainence.) Or just keep mangling the procmail rules? :-)

I appreciate any suggestions anyone has on the Right Way to do this.
Thanks.

              bob
--
        bob billson         email: bob@???          ham: kc2wz