[exim] Re: exim don't speak to google any more!

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Bernard Quatermass
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: [exim] Re: exim don't speak to google any more!

On 29/07/2024 03:18, Viktor Dukhovni via Exim-users wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 28, 2024 at 05:56:33PM +0100, Jeremy Harris via Exim-users wrote:
>
>>>   BUT in the log, I get the following message:
>>>
>>>    H=gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [142.251.16.26] TLS error on
>>>    connection (recv): The TLS connection was non-properly terminated.
>>
>> Google is violating standards, according to the OpenSSL library.
>
> No, rather the Google MTA is not wasting valuable resources doing
> unnecessary TLS-layer framing to avoid truncation attacks that
> don't apply to SMTP, which does application-layer framing.

    "Goggle ... not wasting valuable resources".

[pause to let that statement sink in]

Given this early disconnect is a strict violation of the TLS standard it is not difficult to conclude where the problem is.

> Exim really should be updated to ignore OpenSSL's truncation detection,
> I don't recall whether that even already happened and the OP is running
> an older version?

I rather think postfix is the codebase with the issues.
You are welcome to take your partisan sniping somewhere other than this list.

--
Bernard Quatermass