[exim-dev] Re: Proposal for Making Exim4 Cloud Compatible - …

Autor: Bernard Quatermass
A: exim-dev
Assumpte: [exim-dev] Re: Proposal for Making Exim4 Cloud Compatible - Request for Community Collaboration
On 17/07/2024 14:47, Nasier Jaffer via Exim-dev wrote:
> Dear Exim Community,
>
> We have encountered issues using Exim4 in a microservices environment, such
> as disappearing logs when multiple containers write to the same log files
> and lock file issues with a shared spool directory. To address these, I
> propose a collaborative project to enhance Exim4 for cloud compatibility,
> focusing on robust log management and optimized spool directory usage.
>
> I request the community's help in creating a project plan outlining
> objectives, deliverables, development effort, and timelines. This plan will
> be presented to business stakeholders for sponsorship.
>
> Your expertise is crucial. Please share your thoughts and availability for
> a discussion.
>
> Regards
> Nasier Jaffer

On behalf of the exim project I must decline this request.

We are a project with a tiny group of contributors and we do not engage
in bespoke customisations.

For your logfile issues you should spend some time debugging your container workflow as exim does not
have any problem writing logs when multi-instantiated on a normal machine. There is also the FAQ entry
you should have found during your initial debugging.

   https://github.com/Exim/exim/wiki/Q0073

   Q0073: I'm seeing log file corruption, with parts of log lines getting mangled
          by other log entries.

   A0073: The only time this has been seen is when several servers were writing to
          the same log files over NFS. Exim assumes that its log file is on local
          disk, and using NFS, especially for more than one server, will not work.

The same issues will likely apply when running multiple containers against a shared spool.

--
Bernard Quatermass