[exim] Re: ARC

Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Odhiambo Washington
À: exim-users
Nouveaux-sujets: [exim] Packaging - was Re: ARC
Sujet: [exim] Re: ARC
On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 12:44 PM Athanasius via Exim-users <
exim-users@???> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 16, 2023 at 06:55:53PM +0000, Jeremy Harris via Exim-users
> wrote:
> > On 12/16/23 18:33, Randy Bush via Exim-users wrote:
> > > with gobble et alia forcing ARC upon us[0]. i would hope it would be in
> > > the distributed .debs
> >
> > To be fair to Debian, we still regard it as experimental - having
> > had little evidence of it's actual use in the wild, and interoperability
> > of the Exim implementation.
> >
> > So does the IETF; RFC 8617 is Experimental, not Standards-Track.
> >
> > As I read that G note, they only use it as a negative signal.
>
>   Just to be sure it wasn't a case of "nobody asked", I did:
>
>         <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1058808>
>
> So, yes, we're left with needing to compile a 'custom' exim4 package
> ourselves[1], and then put the relevant packages on hold so this doesn't
> get undone by a Debian update *and* then updating our custom packages
> quickly if there's a security fix or similar.
>   Or *is* there some method within an exim4 configuration file to check
> if a feature is available?  If not, then attempting to run a 'vanilla'
> Debian exim4 with a configuration that has ARC-related configuration
> options will result in an error, yes ?
>
> [1] - See `debian/rules` in an `apt-get source exim4` unpacking of the
> sources.  You can get an `exim4-daemon-custom` package built with your
> own options toggled.
> --
> - Athanasius (he/him) = Athanasius(at)miggy.org / https://miggy.org/
>                   GPG/PGP Key: https://miggy.org/gpg-key
>            "And it's me who is my enemy. Me who beats me up.
> Me who makes the monsters. Me who strips my confidence." Paula Cole - ME

Does this imply that Debian-ists are scared of running anything outside the
aegis of Debian pages?
I have an Ubuntu server where I run Exim-4.97 that I compiled manually -
not as a Debian package
and it's running just fine.
The only thing I wasn't able to include is SRS support because I could not
find libsrs_alt anywhere, but then again I do not use SRS.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,